What's on offer when you experience a retreat with Discovering Prayer?
We believe that taking time out to be with God is essential for healthy living. This means taking time away from the busy-ness of daily life so that we can re-order our lives in the direction that God is gently leading.
Our retreats are at St Mary’s Convent in Wantage, Oxfordshire, UK and are for either one or two days.
They are for people who would like to rest a while, to find out what it’s like going to a convent for a retreat, and would prefer to do so in the company of friends.
You do not need to be a Christian to attend, there is plenty of silence, beautiful surroundings, wonderful walks, and deep baths. You can soak in the silence and take part in as much or as little of the activities that you like
We are expecting to confirm some dates for our next retreats soon. If you'd like us to let you know the dates of our next retreats please contact us.
What does going on retreat involve?
To give you an idea of what a treat might involve here is the list of what we included in our last retreat, which was fully booked.
What did it include?
- Full board at St Mary’s Convent - lunch and dinner on Saturday [the first day], breakfast and lunch on Sunday [the second day]
- Access to the chapels, art room, libraries, beautiful grounds and wonderful walks
- An audio track sent to you before you go, with helpful information about how to prepare for a retreat and what to expect
- Suggested reading that’s tailored for you
- A short talk at the beginning of the day with suggestions for how to use the time and a theme ‘Come away with me and rest a while’, by Michelle Eyre, chief prayer officer, Discovering Prayer
- Written resources to use throughout the retreat
- The option to join in with the sisters in their chapel when they have their short church services
- The option to meet the sisters over a cup of tea
- An option to have a guided meditation
What’s the cost?
The total cost of a two-day retreat with an overnight stay is £125 for members of Discovering Prayer website and £160 for non-members. This includes a non-refundable deposit of £50.
We need to charge to cover the costs of the Convent and Discovering Prayer. However, we do not want anyone to be denied access on financial grounds, so if you cannot meet this charge then please do let us know. Equally, if you are in a position to pay more, and would like to fund those who would find it difficult to pay, then additional donations would be welcome too.
How do I book?
If you'd like us to let you know the dates of our next retreats please contact us.